Among the many food products that have seen an increase in export during recent years, Indian sugar is one such commodity that has significantly seen a global demand. With several new policies and incentives introduced by the government, there is huge potential to make an extremely profitable sugar export from India.
But there is a procedure to be followed which involves obtaining the right information and taking the right steps to initiate your own sugar export from India.
Firstly, let’s try to understand the scope.
Scope of Sugar Export from India
Based on volume, sugar export from India is huge. The domestic sugar market of our nation is the largest producer in the world and acts as a constant growth booster for sugar around the world. Sugar is also a cash crop, or a profit crop, which makes it a well-demanded commodity for import and export. Right from sugarcane to end-result sugar, the Indian sugar economy is regulated and subjected to government overseeing.
The domestic industry is also the second largest industry, coming in right after the cotton textile one. Around 7 percent of our rural population are sugarcane farming families, and many more are employed through secondary activities as well.
Sugar Export from India: Types of Sugar
Here are a few types of sugar that can be exported from India:
- White Crystal Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Organic Sugar
- Round Jaggery
- Jaggery Powder
- White Powder Sugar
- Sucrose AR & LR
- Pharmaceutical Sugar
- Sugar Cubes
- Icing/ Fondant Sugar
Sugar Export from India: the Main Producing States
Here are the major 9 states that produce the most sugar in India. Around 12 percent of the rural population in these states are directly or indirectly employed through the sugar industry.
- Uttar Pradesh
- Andhra Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
The top countries that Import sugar from India are China, Russia, UAE, USA, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and Indonesia.
Procedure to Follow for Sugar Export from India:
- HTS Code: Required for export of sugar or sugar confectionery, which comes under processed agricultural products.
- FSSAI Registration: The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is a must for any export of a food product. It provides value to your product by verifying the details such as brand name, commodity name, net quantity, etc.
- APEDA Registration: All sugar export products must be registered and verified via APEDA in terms of quantity, value, name, etc.
- DGFT Licence: You can get your IEC through the DGTF. This is an online platform on which you must register the quantity of your product. Over here the GST and Tax aspects are also worked upon and it makes the exporting process much simpler.
- Export Release Orders: ERO is required by sugar exporters while shipping to other countries for food security.
- Letter of Credit: As a confirmation by an overseas buyer, you will require a letter of credit containing the acceptance of your products, payment terms, and more.
- Quality Check from Importing Countries: Many nations have their own standard of quality, hence resulting in a quality check from their end according to their set parameters.
Documents You Need for Sugar Export from India:
- Details of your registered firm or brand
- ERO (Export Release Order)
- Export invoice
- Registration from APEDA
- Certificate of Origin
- Letter of Credit
- PAN & GST details of your products
- Custom Clearance Certificate
- Authorization from Importing Country
- Narcotics Certification
- Container Type
- Other details of your company, partners, proprietors, heads, etc.
One of the biggest markets for sugar export from India is Dubai. The market is live and open, and countless Indian sugar brands and products have already made a profitable standing in the same. They have done this by actually going to these markets and bringing their products to the tables of genuine buyers.
You can do the same with the Federation! Having a strong presence in International markets is necessary and you can learn this with Import Export Federation courses and tours. With the help and support of the Federation, you get a chance to pitch your product directly to buyers and close a deal through our Dubai tour and market visit! Register and start your Import Export journey today!